Friday, June 15, 2012

Visiting Great Gramps

Beckett and Katie hit it off!  Of course, I left my memory card in my laptop, so my camera wouldn't take any pictures. :(  These are all from my Blackberry.
Beckett was very clingy to me this weekend, and that's something new.  He really hasn't had fear of strangers yet, but I think the combination of being off his schedule, getting his top right molar, a long car ride, and having television on in the living room while we were there all contributed to his uncharacteristic behavior.  Here, Dad tries the pass off this morning before we left. It made me sad because you could tell Grandpa really wanted to hold him.  Maybe next time!
Thursday morning, Dad, Matthew, Beckett and I drove up to Franklin Grove, Illinois, to see Great Grandpa Kracht and Clara. We tried to time our departure around Beckett's naptime because it's about a three and a half hour drive.
We got there at about 2:00 and Beckett immediately made friends with Katie, their German Shorthair. Even though she is the size of a small horse, Beckett began barking in greeting when he saw her. She was very gentle with him and he kept hugging her. He was also fascinated with her tail, which resembles a nice handle that goes "round and round"...
Dad, Beckett, and I went to Dixon to get some KFC - Grandpa and Clara's favorite. I had no idea what to order, so I just kept naming items and Dad said we were going to need a trailer to get it all home. Beckett enjoyed the kids' meal on the way back.

During dinner, Grandpa Kracht was enjoying a Pepsi, which garnered some curiosity from The Brick, his nickname for Beckett. So much so, in fact, that Beckett pulled his glass down and took a giant gulp. He has never had pop before, but oh boy - he loved it. Dad tried to distract him with a McDonald's cup with a straw sticking out, but he just yanked the straw out of Dad's cup and stuck it in Grandpa's Pepsi and started sucking it down! I couldn't believe it! Grandpa started laughing and said, "His mama didn't raise no fools! HA!". He really got a kick out of it and I let him do it one more time so I could get it on video. (Example of excellent parenting? I think yes.)

We sat outside and watched the birds after dinner. Grandpa puts out grape jelly to attract the Oriels, so we got to see them and have a nice conversation outside. Grandpa graduated from the University of Wisconsin with his degree in Architecture. He used his degree for home design and construction as he ran the lumberyard in Franklin Grove for years - it was called Patterson Lumberyard. He designed and built the house he lives in today, as well as my parents' house in Sullivan. I imagine that's how my dad became such a good builder, too. (He built our lakehouse in Effingham and a boathouse at Fish Hawk - both stories for another day.).

Anyway, the lumberyard in Franklin Grove was the commercial heart of the little town and last night, grandpa talked about how it kept the town going with traffic from mills, salesmen, prospective clients, and new home owners. My dad worked there as a child and young adult. It was also where we would play when we came to visit, and Grandpa would pay us in root beer floats or Oreo cookies for stacking little remnants or putting carpet samples in books.

After he retired in the 90s, the company's management changed, and it went bankrupt in the early 2000s. It's really sad that the place where so many members of my family counted or sold nails, played house or designed them, and ordered or organized shingles is no more. It was a huge, bustling facility, and Grandpa was reminiscing about it last night. He said he missed the people and the pace. I miss those days, too.

As dad and I walked around franklin Grove last night with Beckett in the stroller, he told me stories of his childhood, too. I like to imagine him as Beckett's size in that town, and there is something very special about walking the same streets and seeing the same old Oak trees with three generations of people who have seen them and experienced them over many years. I wonder what it will be like when Beckett is walking with his grandchildren in the stroller - what stories will he tell?

It was a nice visit, and I'm thankful we were all able to go, although I will really appreciate my own bed tonight! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment